Sunday, August 14, 2011

Repurposed Storage




These cabinets came from the warehouse of a metal scrap yard. They were used for years as sorting bins for various gears, pulleys, and vicker valves (whatever they are). My friend Tony owns the scrap yard and brought them to me to turn into cabinets for his man cave.


The face frames are stained reclaimed pine. I dug through my "collection" to find the various doors, handles, and decorations.

The "yellow" cabinet has a spalted maple bar that folds open. Beside it is a lens that magnifies whatever precious tchotchke is placed behind it. A sand casting pattern is used as a door on the bottom right.

The "red" cabinet has a large door with the rough hewn exterior of a reclaimed pine joist. I veneered the pine to a plywood substrate that I painted red, so the color would show through the gaps in the book matched panel. One of my favorite parts of this cabinet is how the circle in the top door is off set against the "x" of the shelves behind.

The "white" cabinet has a bamboo door with salvage iron handle. The two bottom doors are reclaimed pine and we thought it would be cool to cut the corners around the gear profile.



No comments: